Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Holiday Safety Tips for Children

Children always like to help in the kitchen at any time but especially during holidays.

I am posting this post because accidents happen and parents should watch children carefully while they are in the kitchen.

My son burned his arm while he was a toddler in the kitchen. I was in the kitchen with him at the time, but was not watching him carefully enough because a minor injury occurred. My son always liked to play with the pots and pans that were kept under the bottom of the stove. Normally while playing with them, I would leave the bottom drawer where the pots and pans were kept open wide so he could bang away with the pots and pans. Boys love to make noise. All the other times when he was playing in the kitchen, the oven would not have been turned on. This time however the oven had been on because I was baking, but it was turned off but had not cooled enough for an injury not to occur.

My son did not know the oven was still hot, so he must have pulled the bottom drawer open slightly as far as he could and stuck his arm in the open drawer. He was able to open the drawer about 2 inches, but this provided enough room for him to slide his arm inside. I realized his arm was stuck when I heard him crying. I quickly reached down and grabbed him and pulled his arm out of the drawer. I administered first aid as best as I could on his arm before taking him to the emergency room. He received a second degree burn on his forearm because the skin blistered. Thankfully, his arm healed eventually with care.

So parents, please be careful if are going to allow your children in the kitchen while preparing the holiday dinner this year. Be careful and safe in the kitchen at all times.

Watch for my next post Kitchen Safety for children - ages 3-5 years old, 6-8 years, 9-12 years, 9-12 years, over 13 years old.