Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Love of Reading

Dear Readers,

If your child is given a book report project, let them chose the book to read themselves. You will be amazed at the outcome if the child is able to choose a book that they will enjoy reading. For example, my daughter had to select a book, read it and do a shoebox book report. I was amazed when she chose a book that had been in her home library for at least a year. I was also thankful that I did not have to visit the local library where she would take hours selecting from the many books on the shelves.

She immediately began to read her book and spent the rest of the evening quietly reading. I knew the book must have been interesting when she fell asleep while reading. You know your child is enjoying books when a book is the first thing their hands pick up the next morning. You know that you have to get the rest of the books in the series when the child walks and reads at the same time. You try to conceal your laughter when you see them walk to the car, open the door, get in and buckle seat belt while eyes are glued to the pages of the book.

I was amazed when she finished the 20 chapter book in a day and a half. When I saw the interesting way the author wrote, I realized why she read the book so quickly. She had finally found a book that really caught her interest and one that she enjoyed reading. I was glad that she completed the book so quickly because she became ill the weekend before the book report was due.

Since my child was confined to the house we had no choice but to use items that we had at home. She decided that she could fold origami papers to make all of her items that were needed in the shoebox report.

The project was completed and turned in on time to her teacher. This was because my daughter (even though she was sick) loved folding origami papers.

In the end, we both were amazed at how easy this project was because reading and folding origami papers are two things that she loves to do.