Monday, October 11, 2010

Time Management for Children

Dear Readers,

This morning when I went to walked by my child’s bedroom, I saw her holding her shoe in her hand. I asked her why her shoe was not on her foot. She replied, “I am trying to get a knot out of my shoestring.” I wondered how long had she been working on this task. I realized then that children get a lot more accomplished when they have a routine. At school, she has a daily routine or schedule. She has an after-school routine, as well as a bedtime routine. It would stand to reason that she should have a morning routine (an organized morning routine.)

In my research I found 3 types of Routine Charts:
Vertical – Pictures are in order from top to bottom
Flip Card – These are made using index cards with a task on each card. Have your child flip the card over after the task is complete.
Horizontal Chart – Pictures are in order from left to right.
This is the routine my child will follow:
• Wake Up from Alarm Clock
• Make Bed
• Get Dressed
• Eat Breakfast
• Clean Up Breakfast
• Brush Teeth
• Get Backpack
• Leave for School
My goal is to reduce stress in my life and teach life skills to my child.
Choose the type that works best for you child, depending on the age and the need of your child.
• Preschoolers between the ages of 3-6: Choose either a vertical routine chart or a flip card picture routine chart.
• School Age Kids and Teenagers between the ages of 6 and up will need to choose their own style of chart that is easiest for them to use.
• If you have a child with Dyslexia, choose a vertical routine chart because they may struggle with concepts from left to right.
• If your child has ADD/ADHD, choose the flip chart routine chart because children with ADD and ADHD get overwhelmed with too much visual stimuli, this type of chart allows him/her to focus on one task at a time.