Thursday, January 19, 2012

Communication Skills - Tell Me More

Dear Readers,

One of my favorite times of day is when I pick my daughter up from school and she talks about her day. Tell me more I always say to encourage her to continue talking and laughing as she describes how her classmate made her laugh in the lunchroom. Tell me more, I say as she tells me the punchline to the new joke she heard today.

The words Tell Me More lets your child know that you are listening to them and you care about what they have to say. As a parent you always want to keep the lines of communication open between you and your child.

I can determine if the day was a good day or a not so good day because the conversation continues until we arrive at home. The not so good days are the ones when I have to pry information out of her. On these days, I eventually do most of the talking because I have to explain how to handle a certain situation.